Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I So Love the Fall...Just Not This One

I can't lie...the last 5 months have been pretty crappy for us. (hence the seldom-blogging...we've been mostly exhausted or out of town when possible). Anyway, its just seemed that around every corner some unwanted emotion or event lies in wait. I struggle to hope amidst all of it, but I do, in some small part. But before I get to that, here's a poem I penned while working this afternoon at Starbucks, listening to Elliott Smith (that was probably my first problem...) ;-)

Torrent of bad news.
One more thing taken
A hailstorm of negative.
A maelstrom.

Where have they gone
The memories of such good?
The bliss of sweet May
It was all okay

Now we face the torrent
The unrelenting
Death seems to loom
Who weaves on this loom?

What story is wrought
From such hurt?
Such a downpour of rain
I want spring again.

Things die in fall
With nary a chance to wave
They start to fall
The leaves in droves.


I really do love the fall. I've found momentary solace, lying on my back in our backyard watching the yellowing trees sway against the bright blue backdrop. And we have found solace in fresh cookies from friends, kind words, invites for dinner, mindless television - yes, sport has been even more my friend, especially these last few weeks. When I think God may be absent, I get a call from a friend, or a kind email, and I realize every once in a while that He is more present than ever.

So, I'll hope in that. I'll hope that our vacant house sells, despite the horrid market. I'll hope for peace for loved ones, who seem at war with others, or with themselves. I'll hope that the Phillies win the World Series. :-)*

*I am still a loyal Braves fan.... I have not forgotten those NLCS losses... It's just my husband is from PA, so we pull for the Phillies in the absence of my Bravos. It makes us happy when they win.

4 comments:

Marci said...

I wish for spring too! Thinking of you!

Matt said...

I like the poem, I can almost hear Elliott Smith's falsetto when I read it.

It is in the difficult times that God builds us. He doesn't mind if you're upset or confused, all He wants is your trust that, even though things may seem crazy, He's got it under control. With this trust comes the "peace that transcends understanding".

Here's hoping you find some spring amidst the fall.

Andrew said...

Thanks for sharing your lovely, sad poem. I hope you continue to hope and that you get all you hope for, except maybe the part about the Phillies.

Katie W. said...

thanks all. that post was such a drag. for some reason I only feel like blogging when i'm sad or pensive. I should work on that.
(phillies are winning :-) ).